Transaction ID:
Card image cap


Share with:


All In is built for you, the caregiver. Here, we have compiled a list of topics for you, grouped by the following sections:

  • Getting Started: The First 30 Days

    • This section is all about initial matters such as assessing your child’s development, financial schemes, early intervention programmes, and assistive technology.  
  • Getting on Track: After The First 30 Days

    • This section covers matters that are relevant in the process of long-term caregiving, such as childcare, education and self-care. 
  • Planning Ahead

    • This section covers considerations as your child grows up such as what happens when your child reaches 21 years old. 

We hope you find this information useful. We are constantly updating this page, so please do check back for new articles and feel free to leave us a note to tell us what else you’d like to see, and we will try our best to make it happen!



Getting Started: The First 30 Days 

If you are a new caregiver, we hope to help you get started on your journey. Here is a compilation of topics that we feel might be relevant for the first few weeks.

It may be tough, but we will walk with you.

1. What do I do now and what are they talking about?

If your child has just been diagnosed with special needs, here is an article to keep you grounded.

The Initial Diagnosis

We Singaporeans just love our acronyms but really, ATF? ADL? MEFC? These terms can be bewildering for someone who is not familiar with terminology so we have prepared a quick and dirty glossary for your reference.


2. How do I assess my child’s development?

If your child is more than 4 weeks old and below 6 years old, do check out our assessment tool. It will generate a report that will help you keep track of your child’s developmental milestones easily.

You can also take a look at the developmental milestone checklists here:

Developmental Milestone Checklists

3. What kind of financial help can I get for now?

If you are just getting started on caregiving, it is normal to feel worried about finances. We know it is a lot to take in, so here are quick overviews of the financial assistance schemes available. Depending on your specific circumstances, your family may be eligible for these schemes.

Overview of General Financial Assistance (Government Schemes)

  • Overview of Financial Assistance for Special Needs (Government Schemes):

Overview of Financial Assistance for Special Needs (Government Schemes)

4. Why is therapy and early intervention important?

Therapy and early intervention helps children with special needs to better adapt to their environment, manage their conditions with confidence and regain or improve certain functions.

EIPIC and Enhanced PPIP

5. What kind of equipment or home modifications do I need?

You may have to consider the equipment you need to get and home modifications you need to make. Thinking about making these changes may seem daunting at first but remember that you do not need to complete all in a day.

  • An Overview of Assistive Technology:

An Overview of Assistive Technology

  • 12 Simple Home Modifications for a Child with Special Needs:

12 Simple Home Modifications for a Child with Special Needs

6. How do I assemble a team?

Assessing Service Providers

7.  Housekeeping? I am too stressed for this nonsense.

We understand. We know that the first few weeks will be confusing and overwhelming for you. Filing may be the last thing on your mind right now. This is why we have slipped this point here to remind you. Trust us, getting organised early will really help you save time and energy in the long run.

  • Getting Started on Caregiving: Manage Information and Paperwork ASAP:

Getting Started on Caregiving: Manage Information and Paperwork ASAP


Back to top


Getting on Track: After the First 30 Days

You’ve survived your first days as a caregiver and you are magnificent.


1. What are my options in terms of child care?

Here are some options for child care support, before- or after-school care, and residential care:


2. What are my options in terms of my child’s education?

Depending on your child’s needs, here are the possible options you can consider:

You should speak to your child’s team of medical professionals, social workers and teachers to seek their recommendations.

For primary and secondary school students: 

  • Should My Child Attend a Special Education or Mainstream School?:

Should My Child Attend a Special Education or Mainstream School?

Updated Open House Dates of Special Education (SPED) Schools 2019

For children with physical disabilities: 

General information:

  • Support Schemes for Students:

Support Schemes for Students

3. What activities and accessible places do you recommend for my child with special needs? 

Check out this list from the Singapore Special Needs and Parents (SSNAP) community for a great list of activities and places to go.

4. What can I do to empower my child and nurture my child’s potential?

Guide to Developing the Social Skills of Children with Disabilities

8 Strategies for Effective Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)

Guide to Activities of Daily Living Skills (ADL)

How to Nurture the Potential of Children with Special Needs

4. I am so tired! How do I take care of myself too? 

Don’t neglect yourself in the process of caring for your loved ones.

Fabulous Self-Care Practices in Under 15 Minutes

5 Self-Care Tips for You, the Caregiver

Back to top


Planning Ahead

You have done your best.

Be fearless and move forward.

1. What should I do after my child has grown up?

In Singapore, a child reaches the age of majority and is considered to be an adult at the age of 21. He or she will assumes legal control over their actions and decisions, and the control and legal responsibilities of you, as a parent or guardian, ends there. However, it may be necessary for you to continue to make legal decisions for your child even after he or she turns 21. To do this, you can apply to become a deputy for your child.

To get general advice on deputyship matters:

  1. Approach the Law Society’s Community Legal Clinics.
  2. Approach free legal clinics.

To apply for a deputyship order:

  1. Engage a private lawyer.
  2. Approach the Legal Aid Bureau
  3. Apply for Assisted Deputyship Application Programme (ADAP) (see below).

Assisted Deputyship Application Programme (ADAP)


2. Who will take care of my child after I’m gone?


Planning Ahead for Your Child with Special Needs

Financial Focus

Financial Planning for Families with Children with Special Needs

To ensure regular long-term care for your child, you can set up a private Trust Fund, a Special Needs Trust Company (SNTC) Trust or a Special Needs Savings Scheme (SNSS).

You can refer to our quick guides to SNTC Trust and SNSS:

In addition, here are more articles regarding this these options:


Back to top