Paying Medical Bills (Government Schemes)
Posted on April 9, 2019 by Ann
Medical bills may play a significant part in your financial challenges as a caregiver.
Here is a quick overview of the options you have in terms of the government schemes that will help with paying for healthcare costs.
|What is it?||Compulsory savings account||Compulsory medical insurance; premiums are paid using Medisave or cash||Subsidies to help needy Singapore Citizens who cannot pay their medical bills|
|Who has it?||All Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents who work and contribute to CPF.||All Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents.||- You must be a Singapore citizen
- You must be a subsidised patient
- You must have received treatment from a Medifund-approved institution
- You and your family must have difficulties affording the medical bill despite getting heavy subsidies, MediShield Life and Medisave.
|What is it for?||Can be used to pay for the cost of staying in a hospital, outpatient treatments like chemotherapy, and also some intermediate and long-term care services.||Insurance for a hospital stay (of at least 8 hours) or day surgery.||Can be used to pay for restructured hospitals, national specialty centres, and intermediate and long-term care services.|
|How do I apply for it?||- Tell the hospital staff you want to use the Medisave funds.|
- You will get a form from the hospital.
- Fill in the form to give the hospital permission to withdraw your funds.
- When you leave the hospital, you will get a Medisave Withdrawal Statement and bill showing you how much of your savings has been used and your payment details.
|- Tell the hospital staff that you want to make a claim from MediShield Life.|
- The hospital will submit its claim to the Central Provident Fund Board. The CPF Board will settle the bill on your behalf.
- If you have an Integrated Shield Plan, your private insurer will process your claim and make the total payment on your behalf. This includes the MediShield Life portion of the payout.
- You can use Medisave or cash to pay the rest of the amount.
|- Approach a medical social worker at the hospital or institution you are staying in.
- The medical social worker will help you to apply for the subsidies.
|For more information||Link to relevant CPF page||Link to relevant MOH page||Link to relevant MOH page|