Transaction ID:

Living with Autism – 18 Years Old and Above

Posted on January 4, 2019 by All In

Share with:


Tertiary Education


When your child graduates from secondary school to pursue a higher education, there are many higher learning options for youths with autism. Here is a list of tertiary level schools with Allied Educators on staff that your child can apply to:


If academics is not your child’s strength and he/she leans more towards a specialised skill set, these are the vocational schools offering programmes for special needs youth:


Read more about your child’s education options in our comprehensive guide here.


Independence, Housing, Job-seeking


As your child grows older, you can either get him to live independently by himself, live independently with help (a support worker), live at home with you or get him a place at an adult foster care. It all boils down to your child’s ability and your ability to help him as he grows older.


You have to also consider your child’s reaction to transitions. Singapore will be developing a home for people with intellectual disabilities, a place where they can stay and be taken care of. This is one option for those who feel their child cannot live on their own.


With the child’s future in mind, it is a crucial step to start developing his/her skills for the adult world from young. Communication, social skills, or bad anxiety problems – he/she will have to overcome these issues before entering the working world.


When the time comes, choosing a job for your child may prove to be another stumbling block. But it is wise to pick something that your child has shown interest in. You can kick start your planning by talking to teachers and staff at the schools you have enrolled him in. Planning ahead will let you enrol your child in the relevant courses to equip him with the necessary skills for the job he wishes to take up. Make it a point to review the plan during major life milestones and ensure you are still on the right track.

SG Enable supports and rewards companies that employ people with disabilities. You can visit their website or contact them for more information about their current programmes.


Legal Matters (Long-term Planning)


Worrying about how your child will cope when you are no longer able to do so is inevitable. It is even more worrisome for those with children who are suffering from autism.


Recently, Singapore finally has in place an insurance scheme for people with special needs called SpecialCare Insurance. You can find the details here. It will be wise to get adequate coverage for your child as you will not know when accidents may happen, and whether you will be around to help them when it does.


Special Needs Trust Company provides trusts for those with special needs, including autism. Instead of a family or friend trustee, you can have a professional trustee who may be better informed about the rights of people with special needs.


All content found on the All In website, has been created for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.