fbpx
Transaction ID:

Why is Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS) dangerous?

Posted on June 15, 2019 by Ann

Share with:


What is MMS? 

Miracle Mineral Supplement (MMS) is a chemical solution that is marketed and sold as a cure for autism, HIV, malaria, cancer, the flu virus, and more. It is also known as:

  • Miracle Mineral Solution,
  • Master Mineral Solution, or
  • the CD protocol.

According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), this product “when used as directed, produces an industrial bleach that can cause serious harm to health”.

What are the components of MMS and why are they dangerous?

The MMS “treatment” is essentially a mixture of the MMS solution and citric acid.

1. MMS (Sodium Chlorite Solution)

MMS itself is a mixture of 28% sodium chlorite and water.

Sodium chlorite is an industrial chemical used as a pesticide and for wastewater treatment. It is not safe for human consumption, and suppliers of the chemical have to include a warning that it can cause potentially fatal side effects if swallowed.


(Sodium chlorite. Source: W. Oelen [CC BY-SA 3.0])

2. MMS + Citric Acid = Chlorine Dioxide

The proponents of MMS provide instructions for users to combine MMS with an acid (such as citrus fruit juice) to create a new mixture.  This results in chlorine dioxide (ClO2). People may then be instructed to use the mixture in the following ways: drink it, apply it to the skin or administer it as an enema.

Chlorine dioxide is used for for bleaching and stripping textiles, pulp and paper. Under certain conditions, it can be used as a highly effective disinfectant for food and potable water treatment. When it is not used according to safety guidelines, it can cause eye irritation, irritation to the respiratory system, nausea, diarrhea and dehydration.

Instructions for use of this product required dangerously high dosage of chlorine dioxide, and indicated that any nausea, diarrhea and vomiting were signs that the miracle cure was working. These instructions also stated that despite a risk of possible brain damage, the product might still be appropriate for pregnant women or infants who were seriously ill.


(Chlorine dioxide solution. Source: Iridos)

What are the possible health risks related to chlorine dioxide?

Based on the list of peer reviewed research papers that the U.S. National Library of Medicine (under National Institutes of Health) put together, here are the possible health risks related to varying degrees of exposure to chlorine dioxide:

  • Severe nausea and vomiting that can lead to severe dehydration and low blood pressure
  • Headaches
  • Respiratory irritation: coughing, wheezing, bronchitis, pulmonary edema, nasal lesions, reactive upper airways dysfunction syndrome
  • Methemoglobinemia (a kind of blood disorder)
  • Renal toxicity (occurs when your body is exposed to a drug or toxin that causes damage to your kidneys)
  • Children born of mothers who drank water treated with chlorine dioxide during pregnancy: increased risk of low birth weight, pre-term births, neonatal jaundice, small cranial circumference, slower growth after birth
  • Adults with G6PD who drank water treated with chlorine dioxide: at risk of developing hemolytic anemia

Results of animal studies:

  • Rats: Death when administered orally
  • Hamster: Metaphases with chromosome aberrations
  • Sea urchins: Developmental abnormalities
  • Dogs: Decreased birth weight, altered thyroid hormones, altered brain development and behaviour

A case report from Singaporean doctors from Changi General Hospital:

MMS is not a safe treatment

Proponents for MMS often point out that under certain conditions, chlorine dioxide IS used as an effective disinfectant for food and potable water treatment. Therefore it should be safe, right?

Nooo, it doesn’t work that way.

Health professionals have explained that the issue is that MMS simply does not meet the standards expected of “safe treatment” for anything (not autism, not HIV, not cancer).

Following the instructions provided by proponents (who developed the methods without any controlled scientific research) means introducing a known toxic chemical into the children’s bodies in dangerous quantities.

There is plenty of scientific evidence that there are significant health risks associated with chlorine dioxide (see section above).

There is no scientific evidence that chlorine dioxide works as cure.

There also isn’t any information about possible adverse effects in the long term.

From the ethical point of view:

“Throughout human history, the helping professions – medicine, psychology, education – have operated under many ethical guidelines and codes of conduct. But one singular, defining, and unwavering principle has been, do no harm. Providers of services understand that, fundamentally, we cannot behave in ways that will harm – physically, psychologically, or otherwise – the people whom we serve. This is part of the “DNA” of medical and social services.

This core value is lacking in the proponents of drinking bleach for a cure of or treatment for autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

(Source: Is there Science Behind That? Bleach Therapy )

Given these issues, governments have issued warning notices against using MMS.

  1. United States: Food and Drug Administration,
  2. United Kingdom: Food Standards Agency 
  3. Australia: Department of Health
  4. New Zealand: Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority
  5. Canada: Health Canada

Parents are therefore encouraged to be skeptical of unsubstantiated claims related to “miracle cures”.

Parents who had already administered MMS to their children should bring their children to a doctor.


All the content found on the All In website, has been created for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Read more

Why some parents give bleach to their children and what’s being done about it?

Designing for Inclusivity and Accessibility

 

 

 

We hope you have found the information and tools on our website useful in supporting you and your loved ones in this journey of self-discovery!

Please help us to improve our website by letting us know what you love about All In, and if there is anything else we can do for the special needs community in Singapore, by filling in this survey. And as a token of appreciation, we will be sending you a $5 e-voucher for use in our store. At the end of the month we will be conducting a grand draw where one lucky winner will receive $50 for use in our store as well.

Thank you for your support!